Tuesday, June 22, 2010

First day of a Master?


If this was it take it back!  LOL.  I started today in earnest working on my masters project . My friend Bob was kind enough to give me an olive tree from his back yard. Sooooo

Step 1. Remove tree … Mother told me there would be days like this

Lets back up.  4 days ago I caught either bronchitis or walking pneumonia.  Couple that with the fact that I’m in season for my allergy induced asthma and that’s where I start today – not breathing.
So all day I’m dropping cough drops like they are my favorite candy ever (EVERYONE KNOWS that,  THAT is CHOCOLATE)  and we decided we are going to take THIS branch off this tree….that’s all just one branch.

Yeah, uh huh, 1 branch.  This tree is HUGE.  This 1 branch , one of the smaller ones, was 9ft long and 8” in dia. After pruning it to a ball head, with several smaller ones able to be used for lumber as well (I will have pen blanks for sale not TOO far down the road) in total I harvested 4 logs (5 1/2ft , 4ft,6ft and 3ft…remember I had to clean cut them all after they  were grounded)…..but lets not forget the foliage.

So here’s the count…. 4 logs and 2 truckloads of foliage .

So I take it back to the shop to mill it down to rough lumber. Getting there at 4PM. By 8PM I was calling Kat to bring me my rescue inhaler that I foolishly left at home, a 16 mile round trip for her – she loves me. . . or my life insurance isn’t paid up :/

By that 8oclock time I had accomplished exactly 3 things:
1.    (1)  I DID get 1 branch to the shop…..remember this started with step 1 up there LMAO yeah right
2.        (2)1 did get ¼ of 1 log milled down….the other 3 and 3/4  logs? Not so much.
3.      (3)  I got all the ends of all the logs painted to slow the drying process in order to allow me time to mill them & then air dry them

Remove tree?.....yeah right next time I’ll know better and I’ll have a better plan.
Why didn't I have a better plan you ask?...after all  I AM working on my masters project??!!
To this I say : I'm a furniture maker not a lumberjack or millwright!!! ( though I may be when Im done! )

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails