Friday, May 4, 2012

The Heart-Shaped Music Box continues

Remember the heart-shaped music box I've been working on?  We'll I've made some great progress and felt I'd share some updates and  photos.

Last time you saw the pieces they were just 4 glued up blocks.  4 because it's best to makes extras when you know there will be delicate steps along the way.


The next step was to cut down the corners of the blocks.  There are two important reasons for this.  For one, the next step was putting these pieces on the lathe to make them round cylinders, and square on a lathe is unstable. Getting it closer to round means less uneven cutting with the lathe tools.




The second reason, look how much material I can salvage from this...
I'm not sure what I'll use it for but, as I mentioned in a previous post, I try to use as much as possible.  


From there the four blocks finally make it to the lathe for the first time.  The goal at first is just to make them actual cylinders.  Just rounded enough to make the process of carving hearts out of them a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails