Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Watch Box in Progress

This box is seemingly very simple. However to assemble it took 9 clamps, 6 hands, 2 glue bottles and 54 dowels all working together in unison for 15 mins straight.


As you can see from the picture, I had to finish the inside of the box before I could assemble it, though the outside can't be finished until everything else is done. This stage would have come much sooner if the level of detail needed for this was just a little less and it hadn't caused a kickback on the saw resulting in a withdrawal from work for several weeks.


I've also included a close up of one of the interesting joints. This joint is not only very attractive but also very intricate requiring special tooling and exceptional consideration. It's my own modern variant on a Chinese joint, that I know dates back at least 1200 years, but is unknown in Western construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails